10.22.2016

Nan Jones Interview {The Perils of a Pastor's Wife}

Nan Jones
Author & Speaker


The Perils of a Pastor's Wife is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and LPC Bookstore

When I read a certain page in Nan Jones’ book The Perils of a Pastor’s Wife I wept for her. She exposed her pain in a raw and real way that I can relate. Almost too well maybe, but then again, that’s what I admire most about her faith journey– the courage to push through disappointment. No matter how deep her suffering she still ran to God seeking comfort and direction, and not the usual quick-fix with answers. No, she wasn’t having an all-out tantrum, but rather humble in the grace desperately needed for herself and everyone involved. Her soul truly surrendered while gray skies loomed above, and the walls of her dark pit seemed to be closing in. Still, she looked toward Heaven for a touch, a word, a sign that’s she’s held close, and not forgotten. She needed God above all else.

And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Romans 5:3-5

Nan is continuing to heal, and her future bright with each day trusting God for the ordinary and the extras. Grateful she is that He has been faithful, as always, and assured that He will continue to be there for her as she carries this hope to others struggling for a new normal.

God works in mysterious ways. Nan has found comfort for her healing journey while giving when she feels there’s nothing left to give, which is the miracle from knowing Jesus intimately.




When we think we’re done, shattered and all-together a mess is when He can use us most while the ashes settle.

Nan has been diligent in keeping up with social media while building readership and promoting her book. Her ministry expanded from the beginning to include speaking events in her home state of North Carolina with resounding positive endorsements. She also inspires semi-weekly on her website under the link Blog.

Bonus: A winner is chosen monthly for a signed copy of The Perils of a Pastor’s Wife when you subscribe to Nan’s blog.

Contact Nan through Twitter and Facebook.

Proverbs 31:25
Interview

Your written story is one that is peppered throughout with biblical teaching and references for the reader. I believe God is pleased with your altar built as a memorial to the Lord for His faithfulness.

How does your praise continue to translate in the everyday? Are you speaking, and have you considered another writing project?



Praise is a vital component of my faith walk. It keeps me grounded and my hand interlocked with the One who loves me. I often listen to praise music for enjoyment as I work, but there are times I have it playing intentionally to ward off the attacks of the enemy, or to help me change my attitude, or to remind me who I am—a daughter of the King. However, praise doesn't always involve music. It can be as effortless as, "I love You Lord!" in the midst of a busy day. It can be as ordinary as a "Thank You Jesus" when you find that last parking spot near the front of the mall. There are days when I am so overwhelmed with anxiety and depression, I find my sweetest praise is to simply speak His name, "Jesus … Jesus." God inhabits the praises of His people—I fully believe that. He responds and delights in our love. Perhaps the greatest lesson I've ever learned is to praise the Lord for who He is, especially when I can't praise Him for my circumstances. He alone is worthy of our praise.
Yes, I am speaking—the Lord is swinging the door wide. I just got back from a prayer retreat, Come Thirsty, where I had the honor of speaking three times. I'll be traveling to Hendersonville, NC in November for a holiday event and I just got word that I'll be the keynote for an associational meeting in May. I'm so very thankful the Lord is finding me worthy. I love to pour into the hearts of my sister-friends.

I am working hard on my next writing project, The Offering, which will teach how we can illuminate the evidence of God in our lives by offering Him our pain. I venture to say that everyone has felt abandoned by the Lord at some time. I've learned that in our darkest moments, He is, in fact, the closest to us, but He is often veiled by our sorrow or despair and we can't see Him. When we come to a place where we can willingly let go of the crushing pain, the oil of the Holy Spirit is released and the Light of Christ within us illuminates God's Presence. He receives our offering as a consuming fire, creating the ashes from whence the beauty of new life comes. Deep, huh? I know! But I promise I'm writing and illustrating it in a way that the reader can readily apply it to her life. The non-fiction book will be followed by a small group Bible study and a devotional journal.

When I read your book I journaled in the margins with notes and drawings because it was more like a bible study, which I reaped bountifully from.

Was that something you considered when writing your book?

Rosemarie, that thrills me! I hadn't thought of it as a Bible study per se, but I definitely was intent on giving my sisters the Word of God. My thoughts and opinions may encourage someone, but God's precious Word is what transforms and is rock solid. I want each of my readers to know in their knowers that God is with them just as He promised and that He is honored by their service. I wanted them to know without a doubt that He weeps when we weep and rejoices over us with His love when our hearts leap for joy. And more than anything, I want them to know that if God be for them, who can dare to be against them? What better way to do this than to lead them to the treasures in God's Word?

You shared very tender moments of your life with the reader.

Was it hard deciding how much detail to add and what could be withheld without forsaking the message?

Yes and no. Yes, in that I didn't want to spew poison in my endeavor to write with raw emotion. I wanted to tell the stories authentically, but veil them behind the Scripture that tells us we don't wrestle with flesh and blood, but with principalities of darkness (Ephesians 6:12). That was very important to me. I didn't want this to read as an academic, theological piece. I wanted my reader to connect with her own emotions through mine because that is how the healing can occur. Some chapters, or sections of chapters, had to be written multiple times to get the poison out of my system and so I could hear the Lord clearly. I found the writing and reliving of these events to be very cathartic. I also pray fervently as I write, not only that I share the Word of God correctly, but that I represent His heart well. I find protection in my writing place, meaning that I believe I'm doing what He's asked of me. That knowledge affords me boldness to speak His Truth, but to do it with His wisdom and grace.

You're a woman of great courage to invite us on this healing journey with you.

Has God revealed a truth to you since publishing that you might share to help women today who are facing their darkest hours? 

Over and over again, the Lord is telling me to be still. Cease striving. And remember that He is God. We are all familiar with this rhetorically, but He is teaching me to put it into action. In the stillness I can hear His sweet whispers. When I stop striving, I give Him the reigns of my life. And when I remember that He is God I find peace. In my remembrance I revisit times of His faithfulness and the tenderness of His love. I rest in the knowledge that He is sovereign and nothing comes my way without His knowledge. That comforts me and brings me peace. But I—we—must choose to do this. God is a gentleman and will not force Himself on us. But He will whisper for us to come and be still in His Presence. It's up to us to respond.

Finally, this book is quite a gift to the world.

Do you hope it will also be part of your legacy for your children and grandchildren and is that message different?

Yes, for my children and grandchildren to learn and know the faithfulness of God is the desire of my heart. I have always done my best to give them Jesus, and not religion. I want them to see faith in action and be amazed by the reality that our God never fails. The pages of The Perils of a Pastor's Wife is filled with this very message.

Nan Jones is an author/speaker who uses the words of her heart to assist fellow Christians in discovering the Presence of God in their darkest hour. She has been published in several anthologies as well as the online inspirational sites Christian Devotions, and Inspire a Fire where she is a monthly contributor. She is also a monthly contributor to PW Connections, a blog and forum to encourage pastors' wives. Nan is thrilled to announce her debut book, The Perils of a Pastor's Wife released June 30, 2015 by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. This memoir was a 2016 Selah finalist. When Nan isn't writing, she enjoys leading prayer retreats, bible studies or sharing God’s faithfulness as keynote speaker for special events. She is becoming known by her brand: "Even so, I walk in the Presence of the Lord" as she teaches her audience to go beyond the veil to find God's Presence. You may visit Nan at her website: www.NanJones.com. Nan has also created a facebook community page, Seeing Beyond The Veil, to provide a place for folks to go and get away from the chaos for a few moments and focus on Jesus through scripture, worship, testimony, and inspirational quotes. For personal communication you may email Nan at nan@nanjones.com.

 ><> ><> ><>

My heart with God’s leading is to feature Christian author’s here at Cup of Goodness that inspire and encourage me, and maybe even make me laugh at myself. If you’re a first-time author, connect with me via email found under the Contact heading on this blog. I believe the gift in me is to lift up others in their calling through a review/interview that would be beneficial to the Body of Christ. Looking forward to hearing from you!

#FaithHopeCourage
Lord, I Trust You with My Story
A now Word in this now moment from the Lord through His servant Rosemarie.
Minister ~ Prophetic Voice ~ Writer

© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.