10.31.2014

What Is Your Spiritual Temperature?

Cold = Worldly
Lukewarm = Makes God Vomit
Hot = Committed

"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked-- I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelation 3:15-22

God is saying something. Like in the book of Revelation -- a revealing of the truth -- you are neither fully committed to God nor do you deny Him incessantly. You have no zeal for the Lord, but instead are content with how things stand. Why give more than I have to? Can’t I blend in and not bring attention to myself? Why put myself in the category of the fanatical Believer? It’s cozy here. No controversies. I can be like the world and when Sunday comes I can rally and shout, “Amen!”


Being lukewarm is a dreadful condition spiritually. Like drinking lukewarm water God is revolted by your spiritual temperature. He despises the halfhearted Christian.

What about those Laodiceans? “They didn’t take a stand for anything; indifference had led to idleness. For neglecting to do anything for Christ, the church had become hardened and self-satisfied, and it was destroying itself. “ – Life Application Study Bible

The Scriptures refer to five dangers for the church of the Laodiceans -- "you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked." Yet, there is still hope. “Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” After repentance you are restored into full fellowship with Him, and “to him who overcomes” there is an eternal blessing of being with Him in Heaven.

The letters to the churches in the Book of Revelation remind me of how I sometimes approach a serious topic with my daughter. I share with her all the pitfalls as well as the blessings if she chooses differently. Our Heavenly Father has done the same for us in the scriptures. He has laid it out plain and simple -- if we chose to confess and follow Jesus we will have life now and always.

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:9-21

© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.