6.22.2014

Seekers

In this generation we are seekers of fun, entertainment and thrills. Whether we engage in adventurous outdoor fun, family activities or perhaps eating out as a family in restaurants—these alone are not sinful. However, anything in excess can be questionable.

It has been a few Sundays that we have eaten out as a family after church and each time I felt dissatisfied with the money spent, and knowing I could do better in my own kitchen. Yes, I can cook! The interesting thing is we have eaten at different eateries with and without coupons, for an ordinary Sunday and a significant celebration. None stood out, and all left me with an experience that took from me rather than adding to my life.



Today is a special day and though I thought to cook a grand meal at home I changed my mind last minute with high expectations of making memories over an exceptional feast at a resort. What a big mistake! My husband was more interested in the NASCAR race that had begun and ate particularly fast. The conversation was drab with no highlights to mention. We spent a lot of money per plate and though the choices were vast and plentiful it was dissatisfying.

“No more eating out for us on Sunday. I make a better meal.”

No one refuted, and they agreed in silence.

The drive home was intense for me, and might I add only me. My husband turned up the music for my daughter and they both were enjoying the moment. Meanwhile, I was stuck in reflection on what just happened, or more poignantly what did not happen.

In our new habit to eat out as a family and the fail that followed today, I realized that these were empty attempts in wordly experiences whereby my family could connect. It was hard to face that truth, but I trust God that there is a better way.

In Jeremiah 29:13 we read, “And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” If we are seeking with a whole heart, or maybe with half a heart worldy things or experiences it is a fail from the start.


As Believers we are to “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and (then) all these things shall be added to you.” As Believers we get it backwards -- putting ourselves first instead of our motivation being Kingdom-minded. The problem lies also with unbelievers, who in this generation are bent on bonding over television, food, or social media when it is simply not enough. Throw in the mix that many have not a clue on bonding over the simple and ordinary like board games and coffee. There is value in getting back to basics!

Lesson learned: I am to be a seeker of Him first and always, and come to His table of plenty where God will provide for all that I need!

 
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.