2.06.2014

Get Your Head Out of Yesterday


When grey skies suddenly show up in the continually blue and sunny valley of the Southwest I wonder if it is a direct reflection of a melancholy mood. Nevertheless, I cannot excuse the devil and his trickery of calling to mind my yesterdays, and today this trickster came on strong, which has me on alert.

In seasons past, I learned the danger in disappointment, discouragement, and those feelings of dissatisfaction that are a warning sign due to unsettling circumstances and relying heavily on what’s incoming or the lack there of.

During an innocent thought of comparing my egg salad sandwich on honey oat with spinach, tomatoes and onions to a similar sandwich of more than ten years ago I was quickly drawn into my past with scrumptious sandwiches and all the rest, but wisdom revealed the truth.



“Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding; For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies, And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. Length of days is in her right hand, In her left hand riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, And all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, And happy are all who retain her. The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; By understanding He established the heavens; By His knowledge the depths were broken up, And clouds drop down the dew.” Proverbs 3:13-20

The devil knows how to expand the thought of a mere egg salad sandwich to include what was – a younger version of me working and involved. My reality currently is in stark contrast as a mostly stay-at-home mother with one undemanding client and a full life with a husband, daughter, dog, house duties, with a mixture of ministry and friends in random phases. Like anyone else’s life it ebbs and flows. Even so, recently I am feeling less than satisfied as I am quite busy though for another’s sake. That is not a bad thing either. As a wife, mother, and dog mom I must accept the selfless seasons and give God praise for His joy that is my strength—even if I must press in to praise. As a mature Believer, I have come to the realization that although I am feeling a particular way does not mean I succumb to it. In other words, my feelings have little influence on my spirit man.

In scripture it is written in Luke 14:28, “For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it.” To think that what I have gained thus far by way of God’s plan and purpose has not required giving up of myself would be denial, but what I stand against is the devil’s assignment to link me to him through discouragement and disappointment.

It is his subtle way of weighing Believer’s down in flooding our minds with every past milestone, success, joy, healing, deliverance, and more to compare and demean where it is we stand currently. He’s cunning that devil seeking the spiritually weak.

“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.” 1 Peter 5:8-9

Resist, remain steadfast, and fight the good fight of faith against such a raid by using the Word of God to counter claim every negative reference that reverberates between your ears.

God breathed His Word and Apostle Paul penned concerning such a weakness, “Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.” Philippians 3:13-15

To translate in 2014: Get your head out of yesterday.

Victory is won with the Word!
Victory is won with the Spirit of Truth!
Victory is won with the Son of God!

Interestingly, the clouds have since passed in the course of writing this text and the sun’s piercing rays light up the desert floor, and so too has “Your word been a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105)

“…incline your ear to wisdom, And apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, And find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly.” Proverbs 2:2-7

Linked: #TellHisStory
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.