9.13.2013

Do Not Forsake Your Mother's Teaching

I remember when my daughter was a toddler and every bump and bruise mommy was there to kiss it and make it better. I would bring joy to any blue moment, and often without an invitation.

Moms are like that—our nature is to rescue and leave that situation with smiles and happy thoughts. I believe that’s appropriate from infant to kindergarten age while other children need more time to grow with a few exceptions up to and including second grade. Nevertheless, my third grader needs to get it.

My mommy instinct kicked in at the end of last school year with a tip-off that it’s time. It's time this first responder gets a needed break and my daughter take ownership. In many conversations I declared it with phrases like:

“You have to find your own voice.”

“You have to be more responsible.”

Proverbs 1:8-9 Exhortations to Embrace Wisdom "Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck. "

Fast forward to today after coming home with a tummy ache, and it gets worse quick. She has forgotten a re-do test at school that her teacher specifically gave her a consequence for if it’s forgotten or lost.

Oops!

I tried my best in returning to school, but by late afternoon on a Friday the parking lot was mostly empty. The way home was mounting stress for her with tears streaming down and repeating, “Oh my gosh—I can’t believe it.”

Believe it honey. You’re in the thick of a mistake and mommy can’t fix it. I’m rather okay with it too.

Most lessons in life are painful, and all can attest that growing up is hard work. It’s a tough dose of truth to swallow, but sometimes parents help by not rescuing their child.

Ouch!

I've grown every season with my daughter since day one, and here we are again learning life lessons side by side. I'm learning to let go little by little so that she may someday stand on her own without my help.

The Bible is clear--children are precious, but it also states how we are to teach, train and discipline them. Bible verses here.

© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.