9.25.2013

Be the GIFT

#BETHEGIFT
BECAUSE GOD HAS BLESSED ME
IN SO MANY WAYS BIG AND SMALL

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16 NKJV

Jesus went about doing good, and as His disciple I am compelled to do the same. So I was not surprised, but rather excited that I got the idea earlier this week that my upcoming birthday would be different than those past. I would give instead of receive.

Looking for inspiration for the next day’s mission I stumbled on Ann Voskamp’s website and print list quite quickly. Mission confirmed through Ann’s journey of blessing others randomly, which in itself caused me to sit up and pay attention. Yes, God is saying something, “Do it!” I answered the call with an eager, “Yes, Lord!”

My morning started off a bit bumpy because of less sleep  due to hormones mixed in with a good dose of expectation. Still, I was ready, available, and charged with boldness and power to make a difference today. I was commissioned to give and share with others that God exists, and He is good.

There’s truth to the Bible and its application, and today was no different—it is more blessed to give than to receive. I was on a supernatural high, and blessed at how God orchestrated conversations with heartfelt smiles exchanged.

 

Busy Banker Dude
I peeked in the glass enclosure to see him busy at his desk with reports in hand glancing at the computer. He looked like the perfect candidate for a Starbucks blessing. Being the first of many gifts I was extremely encouraged when I tapped on the door and with a short explanation he accepted so gracefully.

Bearded Young Man
One of my conversations today was giving the gift of hope. A young man spoke to me as we walked the parking lot towards the mall. I acknowledged and approached him with a smile, kind words and a friendly handshake. He was thankful that I was polite, but perhaps most of all that I genuinely cared. I continued and further shared that there’s so much evil in the world today that I’m just doing my part to show that God exists. He was stumped that I could have that perspective. “Keep keepin’ on,” I said as we parted ways.

Yes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob exists, and He is good. Even so, if one questions God or where is He in all this tragedy and tribulation in our world I must remain steadfast in my faith that He is not afar off, and with His influence I can take this walk with Jesus to limitless possibilities being light and salt in my sphere of influence.

Lady Grocery Checker
As I asked for cash back with my purchase of gifts and gift bags, the checker answered with the following statement, “Oh it’s not like your giving money away today.” Nobody but God! I answered, “As a matter of fact I am—funny you should say that.” I gave her a five dollar bill with my printed orange sheet with a smile and a “God bless you!”

You can’t tell me God doesn’t have a sense of humor! But perhaps He wanted to see the motive of my heart and to test my boldness. Regardless, we know that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.  I gladly confessed.

There were others that touched me to the core like blessing a young boy with a bright orange teddy bear at the gas station. I had a skip in my step after seeing the big rig truck picking up donations from one of those stand alone metal deposit stations. I gave him Blessings bank envelopes for his children. The coveted two-dollar bill was enclosed along with my message. I asked permission to leave my last Blessings bank envelope on a two-top at the ice cream parlor. The maintenance woman at the mall wasn't expecting a spice pumpkin candle after her ATM transaction.

This glory is not my own, nor do I share in it, but I am merely a participant that reaps the benefit of seeing how God can use the ordinary to do the extraordinary in the everyday.

Today I was the gift, the giver, the encourager, the hopeful, and the kind and generous. I witnessed the anointing that breaks down barriers, generational gaps, and the possibility of being misunderstood because God had ordained it. It was a seamless transference of gentle human kindness and heaven had recorded it.

Thank you Lord, for a holy experience in giving and sharing with my community. It was an unforgettable day with you!

It’s my birthday and I’m still here, standing and believing that God has a purpose and plan for my life, and in His timing it will mature into its fullness. I will wait patiently on the Lord!

"Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) in the Lord and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord [roll and repose each care of your load on Him]; trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) also in Him and He will bring it to pass. And He will make your uprightness and right standing with God go forth as the light, and your justice and right as [the shining sun of] the noonday." Psalm 37:3-6 Amplified Bible

"Get insurance with God and do a good deed, settle down and stick to your last. Keep company with God, get in on the best. Open up before God, keep nothing back; he'll do whatever needs to be done: He'll validate your life in the clear light of day and stamp you with approval at high noon." Psalm 37:3-6 The Message
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.