8.25.2013

Why did God choose me?

I listened to a riveting sermon by Bishop T.D. Jakes that had me on the edge of my seat while my ears were leaning in to get every word and my heart open to receive such good news. It encouraged me, and strengthened my spirit man to persevere no matter what. Whether on the mountain top or in the valley I have to know the truth that is—God did choose me.

Later on that same evening during my quiet time I pondered more about why God chose me. Rewinding my life story I started at the beginning, and continued with defeating trials, obstacles, and unfortunate circumstances. It’s not the making of greatness I assure you. The devil tried to take me out. So inwardly I pressed in the more.

The Lord answered with that still small voice, “It doesn’t matter where the seed is planted it will grow; whether in the crack of cement, in the crevice of a rocky mountainside, or in arid desert places.” My heart melted and my mind could comprehend it. I am His seed, and in my mother’s womb He knew me. I was marked and set apart for Him.

I would grow in age and stature, but at age 31 come to a crossroads and accept the prevenient grace of God -- to choose salvation in Christ Jesus. My spiritual journey had begun, and Jesus has never disappointed me these seventeen years and counting.  Even in a moment of doubt I come back to the Bible truth:

God chose me.



God doesn’t lie.

"God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?” Numbers 23:19

He understands my thoughts.

“You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.” Psalm 139:2-4

I cannot hide from Him.

“Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.” Psalm 139:7-10

I was skillfully made in secret, and God saw me.

“For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.” Psalm 139:13-16

He had a specific plan and purpose in mind when He chose me.

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

He will keep His promises if I wait, trust and am hopeful.

“But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31

“Then the Lord answered me and said: "Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry.” Habakkuk 2:3-3

He has kept His Word, and I am His.

Why did God choose me? (Bishop T.D. Jakes)
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.