8.12.2013

Pat's Creamy Chicken

Last week I scored chicken breast on sale. Buy one Foster Farms chicken and get two free! The cost figured out to be less than $3.00 a pound.  

This week I was disappointed to find regular Gala apples priced at $2.29 a pound. Instead I decided with $2.19 for organic Red Delicious. I wouldn't have noticed that without the help of a friendly shopper. High five to the apple lover!

An oldie but goodie from my recipe folder:

Pat's Creamy Chicken (2005)

Ingredients:
•4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
•1/4 cup melted butter
•salt and pepper, to taste
•dried leaf thyme, to taste
•1 clove garlic, minced
•1 can (10 1/2 ounces) creamy chicken soup
•8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes, can be used reduced fat
•1/2 cup chicken broth
•1 cup chopped onions
•1/2 cup chopped celery

Preparation:
Place chicken breasts in crockpot. Brush the chicken with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add herbs and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.

Tips: I don't brush the chicken with melted butter. I melt it in the microwave and pour it over. I use the high setting for 4 to 5 hours.

This dish is comfort food at its best, and great over rice.  I dare you to pass this up and head over to the meatloaf or mac-n-cheese. Really, it's that good! This recipe calls for thyme, which is a bold spice so use enough, but don't overdo it when seasoning. Take into consideration that you'll want to taste the cream cheese and chicken as well.

Enjoy a hearty meal from the crock-pot today! Trust and believe your family will thank you.
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.