7.07.2013

Paying Off Debt

Oh what a beautiful morning,
Oh what a beautiful day,
I've got a wonderful feeling,
Everything's going my way.

Today I paid off a credit card balance of over six-hundred dollars, and it feels great (insert happy-dance). Paid in full! I'd like to celebrate with spending, but I won't.

Since 2010, I carried a balance and have added and subtracted to it. Auto fuel was a big chunk of that balance to get to and from a freelance job, which happened to be quite a distance away from home. Instead of allowing part or most of the income for fuel costs I took a sneakier way out and charged it, thereby giving me a false sense that I was getting the added income with no personal expense.

Lie! Lie! Lie!

How many times have I done this throughout my lifetime? Too many. I think back when I had a bank loan to consolidate my debt in the late '90s, and in the middle of it a credit opportunity came in the mail. It was bait from the devil, and I took it.

I recall in 2009 when an instant credit balance offer (genius marketing) might be advantageous when I opened a new credit card, but it only proved to be another way to tempt me into borrowing from my future.

Yes, that’s what we do when we spend beyond our income, and worse yet, when we owe others for what we want to enjoy now. It’s sounds absurd when you read this bold face truth, but for most of us we have become programed that now counts, and our desire for instant gratification outweighs the bondage we’ll eventually experience.

"The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower is servant (slave) to the lender." Proverbs 22:7

Thinking back, I could have had an easier time and been debt free long ago if I made different choices along the way. Still, I don’t beat myself up because I’m finally learning hard lessons, and not on my own either. When I told the Lord I wanted to be free, He knew that included being financially free as well. And He's a man of His Word! 

I can attest that one right decision at a time will ultimately lead you to financial freedom. Take time to peruse my blog and see what I’ve done.

My Right Decisions:

- Ditched the paper towels.
- Gave up pedicures years ago and do my own at home.
- Found ways to ask for discounts using cash. CA$H is KING!
- Use an energy efficient plan for summer A/C usage.
- Look for deals online.
- Look for free stuff to do locally.
- Buddy up with friends to share costs.
- Have a shrinkage plan for my cell phone.
- Do without going to the movies.
- Watch movies online and on cable.
- Cook Crock-Pot (slow cooker) meals that last for days.

Please use the search box on the home page or use the tags associated with this post to find out more.
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.