7.28.2013

Heavenly Navigation

“When He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.” John 16:13

This summer was more than typical, filling in my calendar with activities and play dates for days without a rest. I must confess I believe it to be the best summer my daughter has ever had. It’s been brimming with everything summer should be for a child.

It was an ordinary fun-filled day meeting up with friends, but not without a couple of hiccups -- delays and unreliable cell phone coverage. After meeting up for a quick lunch we follow one another by car to a free library program. I was leading us to an unfamiliar part of town when I noticed that the navigation on my cell phone was out of range for reception. Not good. Thankfully, I did have a printed copy of the directions as well.

There is a slight glitch when you go back to using paper directions after relying heavily on satellite navigation; you don’t pay close attention to how many miles until the next written direction. I found myself glancing at a street sign to notice that I missed a turn. Feel the pressure. I pulled over, and attempted to try my cell phone again to find the navigation loading. We were back on course. Nevertheless, in just under a mile I would find myself at a scary intersection with signs pointing in two directions for highways on an overpass. Panic set in. I put my signal on and turned my steering wheel to enter a different lane more than once. The difficulty was in my perception. The navigation’s directions and the signs seemed to crisscross, and a wrong decision could have wasted time and miss the event. Confused and with hands on my hand, I surrendered. When the light turned green I had to trust the navigation and proceed as directed, because the end result was getting to the library, and on time.

Following the navigation proved right. The straight road led me past the east and west entries of a major highway and down a stretch of unoccupied desert. Our celebration of getting to the library with a couple of minutes to spare ended quickly when we were advised of tickets to enter the free event. We were grateful for God's Word, “And My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19) We had the favor of God, and an exception was made!

In reflection of this day’s events, it parallels our own lives as Believers. We panic when our reality has posted signs to go one way or another, when God is telling us this is the way to go. We are to trust and believe, and rely on our heavenly navigation -- the Holy Spirit -- that is reliable to get us where we ought to be. We must depend fully on Him without underscoring how long we’ve been in a challenging season or when it will change. Have confidence that there is a freedom waiting for us to take hold of, which is filled with joy and peace that comes from living in the moment and being guided. No longer is there the heavy weight of what to do next in our limited understanding.

Let go, and let Jesus take the wheel!

I confess, I have taken a few wrong turns and gotten lost a time or two thinking on my own instead of consulting with God. My route hasn’t been the easiest, and some of it my own fault. Still, I am thankful that God is faithful to my end, which He had in mind.

God has blessed me with His guidance and goodness even when I was far less than perfect, but He knew what He was getting into when He called me by name.

© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.