5.15.2013

No Eating Out Challenge April 2013

After a visit from family to include dining out and local travels the end of March, and then easing into April with a bad habit, I decided to call it quits. Yes, I signed up for a no-eating-out challenge for my family. There was no accountability accept for the colorful sticky on my laptop as a reminder.

I started the challenge after dining out last on April 5. It wasn't a fresh slate, but I didn't see the point in waiting as I knew we had to exercise self-control. We had been eating out much too often even before our visitors. It's really convenient to eat out these days. We're our own personal chef -- we think up a dish that we're in the mood for, or worse yet craving, and get it lickety-split. No second thoughts just pure impulse -- we want it, therefore we'll get it.

Crazy!

I've personally been out of that mode for a few years saying, "No." No, I don't need that. No, it's not necessary. No, I can do without it. It gets easier trust me, but in the beginning it hurts. Really.

So, did it work. Yes and no. We didn't fully comply, but the results were satisfactory. We ate out nine times after my pledge and spent in total only half of past months splurges.

Will we do it again? Probably not. However, I'll need to keep a closer eye on the numbers so we don't take liberties.

Eating home isn't an issue either for us as I'm a good cook, and can adapt meals with full flavors like at the restaurants we frequent. Yes, I can deliver!

"Instead of going out to dinner, buy good food. Cooking at home shows such affection. In a bad economy, it's more important to make yourself feel good." - Ina Garten

Favorites:
McCormick Gourmet Garlic & White Wine Chicken Scaloppine Recipe Seasoning Mix
Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon Marinade
Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning

© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.