2.15.2013

Content In Any and Every situation

“I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.” Philippians 4:12

Another Bible version states that we have “learned the secret to being content in any and every situation.” I’m not sure about you, but my being somewhat helpless in a hospital room because of unexpected complications for more than a few days are a great proving ground as to where my instruction and spiritual fortitude are drawn from.

There were moments of great sadness, I cannot deny—when a Mt. Everest-esque mountain was before me and all I had in my survival stash were a few Trinity energy bars, my tattered old Holy Bible, and a bottle of Holy Ghost water. For some it may seem that I was set for the journey while others are thinking preparedness for the elements with an absence of everyday amenities. Nonetheless, God showed Himself faithful to replenish whatever I had used so that I had ample supply for the next day. I never ran out of provisions!

It’s amazing to recognize that during the process of personal health struggles I am growing and gaining spiritual strength even when I qualified for a time as the “least and weak of these.” (Matthew 25:31-46) Only the Spirit of God could have carried me moment by moment as He gave others the burden to care and pray for me.

The Bible is clear, “every season under heaven has a purpose” (Ecclesiastes 3:1), and though His timing I am not privy to, I take comfort in Paul’s letter to the Corinthians in chapter 9:22-27 ”to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you. Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”

Perhaps every season of hardship is to become more acquainted with “the fellowship of His sufferings” (Philippians 3:10) and to be a partaker so that I might reach, witness, and be moved with compassion because I have been weak and afflicted myself, but more importantly hardship gives way to fight the good fight of faith, and win, so that I may pray and fight for others.

It’s not over for me! I have much work to do!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.