7.31.2012

Denying Self

In my quiet time with the Lord I was inquiring in my heart about my “stuff.” It’s too much to mention here, and dare I say not important, as every man has the weight of his own life – failures, interruptions, struggles and the more – to carry. My introspection went further regarding my destiny and how it’s much closer than ever, and within reach. Still, while there are days that I am excited and hopeful, there are days that are questionable. I suppose many of the faithful in the Holy Bible experienced the same. They wondered how the Creator -- the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob -- would use their weakness and inadequacies to bring about a glorious testimony painted with such color and vibrancy then they could have ever imagined.

Jesus said, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.”(Luke 9:23-24)

My cross can be heavy at times with its rough edges chaffing at my flesh. It’s unfortunate, but it’s part of the journey. Denying my selfish desires, even those that seem good, but are contrary to His plan and purpose for my life is the commitment of a true disciple. No matter how much I want for something or think it okay, the Holy Spirit pricks my heart to choose His ways, because His direction is the only direction that will fully satisfy.

When we follow our own direction it leaves us empty with false sense of safety, but when we follow Jesus and loose our life to save it, we find true fulfillment in the promise of eternity – freedom in this life and in the next. Though the Biblical Disciples and Disciples in this century are often found in costly situations they are fearless, and live ultimately to serve God and people.

Have you considered the cost to deny self, take up your cross, and to follow Him?

I have—and it’s worth it!
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.