11.08.2011

Ditching The Paper Towels

I have been asking myself why I'm frugal with most things and have made many adjustments to our family lifestyle, but paper towels seem to always be on the grocery list.

Like most, I had a roll in the kitchen near the sink, but also decided that one in each bathroom would work as well.

After a bout with sickness, and my daughter grabbing too many towels at one time I changed it up. Buying cheaper brands and select-a-sheet towels as a last ditch effort (pun intended!). Sadly, we were going through rolls within days. Ridiculous! The expense in keeping a germfree home was obviously counterproductive to a more conscious effort to be thrifty.

Then, I had an aha moment -- removing my paper towel dispensers from the kitchen and bathrooms. They are now collecting dust on a shelf in my laundry room with only one dressed in a white paper roll for messy messes. Five (5) rolls remain on the same shelf from an 8-pack purchased recently.

Time and messes will tell if I've truly converted!

Paper Towel Alternatives:

*Cotton Hand Towels (owned)
*Cotton Dishcloths (Package of 9 Sale $3.00 Wal-Mart)
*Handi Wipes (6 Reusable/Washable $1.98 Wal-Mart)
*Mr. Clean Reusable Wipes (6 Antimicrobial/Washable $1.00 at BigLots)
*Microfiber Cleaning Towels (8 Pieces $5.00 Wal-Mart)

Microfiber Cleaning Towels can be found in the automotive section of the store. They are used in car detailing and windows, leaving no streaks. Highly recommended for glass and bathroom mirrors.

Thrifty is an adventure whereby we learn some new habits and dispose of the antiquated ones, and for most of us it's just getting back to basics -- like grandma used to do.

Careful at throwing your money at consumables! Be wise. Be prudent. Be a good steward.

Updates:
Change of Habit
I Did It!
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.