8.23.2011

Chage It Up: DIY Homemade Laundry Detergent

Change It Up is a series of posts where I share changes I've made after obliterating a few false beliefs like:

- Only that cleaner can do the job
- Foam is better
- Anti-bacterial is a must
- I can't do without disinfecting wipes
- Who has time for Homemade
- Expensive is the best choice

I admire moms who do homemade without much effort, especially those who garden, cook delicious food, sew their child's costume, and are thrifty. Though I'm a great cook, gardening and sewing would need a lot more practice. On the positive side, thrifty has become an adventure, and I'm enjoying the hunt.

"Money is 80% behavior, 20% head knowledge. It's what you do, not what you know." - Dave Ramsey

Since May I have made Homemade Laundry Detergent where each batch lasts an entire month, and costs pennies per load. I wonder if I'll ever go back to buying store bought. Interestingly, my husband who was reluctant at first now reminds me when we're near the bottom of the bucket.

What you need:
Hot Tap Water
Fels-Naptha Soap
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
Borax

Below is my concentrated version of the above linked recipe using less water. It yields 2 1/2 gallons of laundry detergent. I typically use 1/4 cup for small loads and up to 1/2 cup for large loads for dirty work clothes or towels. Remember that it takes getting used to with no smells and low-sudsing action. Nevertheless, your clothes will be fresh and clean. Promise!

Grate 1/2 bar of Fels-Naptha "100 Years of Quality" Heavy Duty Laundry Bar Soap.

Add 2 cups of hot tap water to saucepan with grated soap. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves (melted).

Fill bucket with 2 1/2 gallons (320 oz.) of hot tap water.

Add melted soap, 1/2 cup of Washing Soda and 1/4 cup of Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved.

Cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

Important! Before scooping your homemade laundry detergent each time don't forget to give it a quick stir. 

Find at the local hardware store:
Fels-Naptha laundry bar soap for approximately $1.59. Grate only 1/2 bar per batch.
Washing Soda 55 oz. box for under $5.00. Use 1/2 cup per batch.
Borax Laundry Natural Laundry Booster 76 oz. for under $6.00. Use 1/4 cup per batch.

Think thrifty!
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.