6.28.2011

Good Deeds & Great Deals

"Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom." Luke 6:38

I am a giver by nature. Meaning it's natural for me to give. I don't hesitate, and don't need to usually pray about it either.

Last year, God nudged me in giving my time in a way that was unusual for me, and to trust Him for my needs. I will tell you that God always keeps His promise, and my needs were met to the penny, with a little left over for some fun with the family locally.

This year, I'm still confident that God will meet my family needs while we do our part to be diligent working, being frugal minded, putting needs before wants, and giving. All the while with an audience of one particular person -- our daughter. I believe she has a front row seat to managing money right and the benefits to good decision making.

Sunday, I ventured off to Kohl's with two coupons needing new perfume for myself. I settled for an older scent that was pleasing, with a final price of $20 to include discount and coupon. Not too shabby for an ounce of wildflowers!

While there, my daughter and I did some "window shopping." Fortunately, at an early age the economic upheaval changed her perception, with my help of course. Nevertheless, it was quite a sight when it all began. Like most, I resembled a novice juggler at the circus—fumbling and dropping balls everywhere dealing with less income, my spouse’s stressful job, credit balances increasing, and the rising costs of gas and groceries.

It was difficult to share with my second grader that a $16 Fashionista shirt wasn't going home with us. I explained to her that the week before I had to put back a $7.00 funky black blouse because though I liked it, I didn't need it.

As a follower of Jesus, I never know when my obedience is a set-up for a life lesson for my daughter.

To be continued…
© Cup of Goodness. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.